My current research interests include:
- The development of eating behaviours and appetitive traits in childhood, particularly fussy/picky eating
- The influence of individual characteristics (e.g. autistic traits and temperament) on eating self-regulation and other nutrition-related outcomes
- Family feeding dynamics, including mothers, fathers and siblings
- The role of socioeconomic status and food insecurity in health and nutrition
Peer reviewed journal articles
You can find links to my open access publications below, or click the “Accepted publication” link to access the journal pre-proof.
- Harris HA, Micali N, Moll HA, van Berckelaer-Onnes I, Hillegers M, Jansen PW. The role of food selectivity in the association between child autistic traits and constipation. Int J Eat Disord.2021:54(6) 981-985. doi: 10.1002/eat.23485
- Harris HA, Kling SMR, Marini M, Hassink SG,Bailey-Davis L, Savage JS. Agreement in infant growth measurements between community and clinical care settings. Accepted in the J Acad Nutr Diet. 2021;121(3):493-500. Accepted publication
- Kling SM, Harris HA, Marini M, Cook A, Hess LB, Lutcher S, Mowery J, Bell S, Hassink S, Hayward SB, Johnson G, Franceschelli Hosterman J, Paul IM, Seiler C, Sword S, Savage JS, Bailey-Davis L. Advanced Health Information Technologies to Engage Parents, Clinicians, and Community Nutritionists in Coordinating Responsive Parenting Care: Descriptive Case Series of the Women, Infants, and Children Enhancements to Early Healthy Lifestyles for Baby (WEE Baby) Care Randomized Controlled Trial. JMIR Pediatr Parent. 2020;3(2):e22121. doi:10.2196/22121
- Harris HA, Anzman-Frasca S, Marini ME, Paul IM, Birch LL, Savage JS. Effect of a responsive parenting intervention on child emotional overeating is mediated by reduced maternal use of food to soothe: The INSIGHT RCT. Pediatric Obesity. 2020:e12645 Accepted publication
- Ria-Searle B, Harris HA, JansenE, Thorpe K. What children bring to the table: The association of temperament and child fussy eating with maternal and paternal mealtime structure. Appetite. 2020; 151:104680. Accepted publication
- Harris HA, Jansen E, Rossi T. ‘It’s not worth the fight’: Fathers’ perceptions of family mealtime interactions, feeding practices and child eating behaviours. Appetite. 2020:104642.
- Savage JS, Harris HA, Bleser JA, Rollins BY. Parents’ and children’s categorization of candy are similar: A card sort protocol. Nutrients. 2019;11(10):2472.
- Jansen E, Harris HA, Rossi T. Fathers’ perceptions of their role in family mealtimes: A grounded theory study. J Nutr Educ Behav. 2019;52(1):45-54. Accepted publication
- Harris HA, Staton S, Morawska A, Gallegos D, Oakes C, Thorpe K. A comparison of maternal feeding responses to child fussy eating in low-income food secure and food insecure households. Appetite. 2019;137:259-266 Accepted publication
- Harris HA, Jansen E, Mallan KM, Daniels L, Thorpe K. Concern explaining nonresponsive feeding: A study of mothers’ and fathers’ response to their child’s fussy eating. J Nutr Educ Behav. 2018;50(8):757-764. Accepted publication
- Mallan KM, Jansen E, Harris HA, Llewellyn C, Fildes A, Daniels LA. Feeding a fussy eater: Examining longitudinal bidirectional relationships between child fussy eating and maternal feeding practices. J Pediatr Psychol. 2018:jsy053-jsy053. Accepted publication
- Jansen E, Harris HA, Daniels L, Thorpe K, Rossi T. Acceptability and accessibility of child nutrition interventions: fathers’ perspectives from survey and interview studies. Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2018;15(1):67.
- Harris HA, Jansen E, Mallan KM, Daniels L, Thorpe K. Do Dads Make a Difference? Family Feeding Dynamics and Child Fussy Eating. J Dev Behav Pediatr. 2018;39(5):415-423. Accepted publication
- Harris HA, Ria-Searle B, Jansen E, Thorpe K. What’s the fuss about? Parent presentations of fussy eating to a parenting support helpline. Public Health Nutr. 2018;21(8):1520-1528.
- Jansen E, Harris HA, Mallan KM, Daniels L, Thorpe K. Measurement invariance of the feeding practices and Structure Questionnaire-28 among a community of socioeconomically disadvantaged mothers and fathers. Appetite. 2017;120:115-122. Accepted publication
- Harris HA, Fildes A, Mallan KM, Llewellyn CH. Maternal feeding practices and fussy eating in toddlerhood: a discordant twin analysis. Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2016;13(1):81.
- Harris HA, Mallan KM, Nambiar S, Daniels LA. The relationship between controlling feeding practices and boys’ and girls’ eating in the absence of hunger. Eating Behaviors. 2014;15(4):519-522. Accepted publication